While we spend hours preparing for a race and trying out which gear to carry with us during the run, we may not think about what we’ll need after we cross the finish line.
I tend to over-prepare, but I’ve never regretted having a well-stocked post-race bag. Here are some of the things you will always find in my post-race bag:
1. Wet Ones: Let’s face it. You’re going to sweat. You’re going to stink. And while a Wet One won’t replace a shower, it will help you feel a little more refreshed after the race. The weather for Princess Half Marathon is looking a little on the warm side and I guarantee wiping down with a cool Wet One is gonna feel good, especially when you still have a bus ride standing between you and your resort room shower. Baby wipes are a great alternative, especially if you’re like me and can swipe some from home to use.
2. Different Shoes: Some people bring a second pair of running shoes, but I prefer flip flops. I like to let my swollen feet breathe after a race. It also makes it easier to asses any blisters or damage you may have.
3. Sunscreen: After 13.1 miles of sweat and wiping yourself down with those Wet Wipes, you’re going to need to reapply your sunscreen if you plan on hanging out in the parking lot to wait for friends and family to finish. This is especially important at races with after parties where you’ll be in the sun for an extended period of time after the race.
4. Medicines: Medical tents are available at the finish line area, but I like skipping the lines for little things like pain relievers and stomach medicine. I carry Motrin and Pepto in my bag, just in case. I also throw in a couple of moleskin pads for any major blistering. The walk from the bus to your resort room may feel like a million miles away and anything you can do to make it more pleasant is a good thing.
5. Nuun Tablets: runDisney gives everyone water and a sports drink after the race. I’m not a huge sports drink fan and I would rather drink my fizzy Nuun goodness at the end of the race. I’m pretty much addicted to the stuff. I’ll be bringing a whole container to PHM with me. After all, sharing is caring!
6. Deodorant: It’s obvious, but it doesn’t hurt to reapply your deodorant when you’re about to board a crowded bus. The person crammed in next to you will be forever thankful.
There are also some things I will NOT pack in my bag. Namely anything you can’t live without if your bag gets misplaced. It can happen with thousands and thousands of people checking bags. runDisney does a great job with bag check, but erring on the side of caution is always advisable. Never put your phone, camera or other breakable items in the bags, either. There are 20,000+ people at the race. Bags get tossed into piles and stacked on top of one another.
I keep my ID, cash and Key to the World Card (your Walt Disney World Resort room key) on me during the race. While I have never heard of anyone having items stolen from their checked bags, I just don’t like to take the chance.
Is there anything you always make sure to have in your checked bag for after your race? Leave a comment and let me know!